Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Dog Names

If you've known us very long I'm sure you have heard me tell this story a million times once or twice, but something that happened this week made me think of it again.

About 5 years ago we got a new puppy that is a  border collie/black lab mix.  We told Brytt that she could name the new puppy whatever she wanted.  While she was processing that, we went to the store to buy a few puppy essentials, including a new collar.  We grabbed a pretty pink one and tossed it in the cart.  It was at that moment that Brytt told us the new dogs name.... "Medium".  Why?  Because that's what the collar said....medium (whose idea was it to teach her to read?).  And no amount of trying to explain that medium was the size and not the name was going to work on her.  We suggested a number of new names over the next few days and she would instantly go find the collar package and show it to us...right there where the dogs name was....medium.  We finally gave up and started calling the poor dog Medium.  And we get ALOT of interesting looks from other people when we go to the dog park.  So when we got Maya, our Husky/Akita mix a few years later, we had the collar bought and packaging in the trash before we even brought the new puppy home, no way was I going to have a dog named "Large" too.  :O)


So now I bet you are wondering what happened this week to remind me of the dog collar package. 

Well, we have had Maya in the vet a few times over the past week and a half and she has come home on a few different medications.  The name on the bottle says...."Maya/Canine", so Brytt asked me if that was Maya's last name...Canine.  So I explained the whole dogs are canines and cats are felines as best I could.  I was so proud of myself, I really thought she got it.  Apparently it was something she had obsessed about during the night, because the next morning she looked at me and said..."Is Winston's last name Canine too?"  Winston would be our deceased Beagle.  So much for my fabulous canine/feline talk....

No comments: